Each year, the SSA publishes the proceedings of its annual meeting under the title Semiotics, also known as the “Yearbook of the Semiotic Society of America,” or “SSA Yearbook” for short. First introduced in 1980, this series provides a unique overview of the development of semiotics across a broad theoretical and applied spectrum.
The Semiotics Yearbook provides an overview of current developments in semiotic research and a regular outlet for SSA members to publish aspects of their current work. Although priority in consideration for publication is given to revised papers originally presented by SSA members at the annual conference, any member may submit a paper (3,000 to 6,000 words or so) for single-blind peer review prior to the annual deadline. The single-blind peer review system recognizes that reviewers are likely to know the names of authors through the program of the SSA’s annual meeting. The editors in charge ensure that reviews are not biased.
Submissions and related inquiries should be sent to Professor Emeritus Farouk Seif via email, any time between January 8 and 31, 2024.
The Semiotic Society of America combines its own style sheet with the Chicago Manual of Style for its publications, whether the journal or the yearbook. Authors should use both when preparing manuscripts for submission. Using the SSA stylesheet for bibliographical references is mandatory!
Available in cooperation with the Philosophy Documentation Center. Click at this other PDC link to order print copies for all available volumes and to have an overview of what is available in print.
Click here to buy a print copy of any Semiotics volume!
Note that Semiotics 2020-2021 is accessible online at the Philosophy Documentation Center. Readers are encouraged to buy a hard copy (instructions below). Semiotics 2022 will soon be published online, and a print copy should become available in 2024.
Instructions for purchasing a hard copy of Semiotics 2020–2021
1. Visit the following webpage at the Philosophy Documentation Center: https://www.pdcnet.org/cpsem/Semiotics
2. Scroll down to “Individuals” and click the button “VIEW YOUR OPTIONS.”
3. A new screen appears with the label “New Subscription,” but that really means “Item to be purchased.” Click the “Next” button in that screen.
4. A fillable form comes into view. If you are already a PDC customer, you are advised to log in first.
5. Fill the form and click the “Next” button at the bottom to proceed to payment.
6. Once that is done, the PDC will send you an email to confirm the transaction. You will receive the ordered copy about one week later.