Dear 39th Annual Meeting Participants,
We hope that you are as excited as we are about what’s in store for us next week. We even have a few surprises that we know you’ll enjoy!
In the meantime, please take note of some important information and reminders:
Media Information for Presenters
- The SSA will provide projectors for those using a PowerPoint or other slide presentation. Please bring a USB device (and, if possible, a laptop) with your presentation saved on it. A number of SSA members have volunteered the use of their laptops, but it would be helpful if some presenters brought their own.
- The Westin Hotel offers free wifi access throughout the premises.
The Weather in Seattle
- The current weather in Seattle is around 61 degrees F (16 C) and few showers. The ten-day forecast is between 63 and 68 degrees F (17-20 C), with mostly sunny days. Bring an umbrella just in case!
- The Westin Hotel conference rooms default temperature is set between 68 and 70 degrees F (20-21 C).
- The Westin Hotel offers free use of its fitness facilities to hotel guests. If you would like to work out during your stay, you may even pack light and leave your sneakers behind! The Westin will provide New Balance shoes and workout clothing for a nominal fee of $5 for the entire duration of your stay.
Post-Conference Tour and Local Attractions
- Those of you who have not signed up yet will still have the opportunity to join us for a wonderful tour of Tillicum Village on Blake Island on Sunday, right after the conference closing ceremonies. You may sign up at the registration desk when you arrive.
- Many of Seattle’s most famous attractions are within walking distance of the Westin, including the Space Needle, the Seattle Art Museum, the Seattle Symphony (Benaroya Hall), the Chihuly Garden and Glass museum, Pike Place Market, and the beautiful waterfront. Here is an easy-to-use map and listing.
Transportation Options from SeaTac Airport to the Westin Seattle Hotel
- Sound Transit Light Rail – The cost of the ticket is $2.75 one way and train travel time is approx. 40 minutes. You can buy the ticket at the vending machine at the station. Be sure to purchase your ticket before boarding the Light Rail to avoid the $124 fine. Directions: From Baggage Claim (Lower Level), take the escalator up to Skybridge No. 6 to the Sound Transit Light Rail Station (approximately 10 minutes). Take the train and exit at Westlake Station. At the station, either (1) take the elevator and exit to the right to find the Westin in front of you, or (2) take the escalator, exit right towards 5th Avenue, and walk one block down 5th Avenue.
- Shuttle Express – The cost is $18 one way and travel time is approximately 30 minutes. Shuttle Express will take you directly to the Westin Seattle Hotel. To make reservations, visit www.shuttleexpress.com or call +1-425-881-7000. Directions: Take Skybridge No. 4 from the Terminal Building to Level 4 and use the elevator or escalator to Level 3. Shuttle Express is located on Level 3.
- For driving directions from the airport to the Westin Seattle Hotel, visit the hotel’s driving directions page.
- A listing of additional transportation options between the airport and the Westin Seattle Hotel can be found here.
For our latest program information, please visit this page.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon!
SSA Executive Director
2014 Program Chair